Frequently Asked Questions

What is the “Monthly Service Fee” on my bill and why do I have to pay it?

The charge covers our costs for connecting you to the electric grid. Some of the key values behind the concept of a co-op are openness and fairness. Everyone paying his/her fair share. The monthly service fee is your portion of the physical facilities. This includes the meter, service drop, transformer and a portion for the poles and wires connecting you to the nearest substation. Basically, your share of the minimum amount of equipment the cooperative must install to provide you with electricity access. This fee is on every monthly bill, regardless of electric usage.

What is the tracker fee on my bill each month and why do I have to pay it?

The tracker fee is a billing adjustment to cover the fluctuation cost of power we purchase and distribute from our power supplier, Hoosier Energy. The tracking mechanism recovers variable production cost (fuel- including coal and natural gas, wholesale power market purchases, operations and maintenance, and emissions regulations) incurred by Hoosier Energy during a specific period. This fee is per kWh and changes quarterly.

When will I get my deposit back?

A member will get their deposit credited back to their bill as a bill credit when that member is current 10 out of 12 months or they pay on time for 11 consecutive months. The billing system automatically returns deposits back to a members account as a bill credit, once they have met our criteria.

What kind of help does REMC offer me if I am unable to pay my bill?

You have until 4:30 p.m. on your disconnect date to come into our office or visit our website and create a 2 week arrangement or pay your bill under the $150 minimum disconnect amount. If you choose to do a 2 week arrangement, you will need to pay 10% of your total bill or $50 (whichever is higher) with guaranteed funds, and sign an agreement to pay the remainder of your past due amount in 2 weeks’ time. We can also give you a list of local agencies that may be able to offer you assistance.

I am moving to Bartholomew County REMC area and need to start my service. How do I do this?

You can fill out a start service request online or come in to our office at 1697 West Deaver Road., Columbus, IN 47201. Get directions to our office.  If you are renting we will need a copy of your lease or permission from the owner before we can establish service into your name. We also require a $5 membership fee and a possible deposit based on credit. If you do your application online, you will need to be available at the phone number you provided. We will need to call you and collect any money owed before we can establish the service into your name.