Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What is the "Monthly Service Fee" on my bill and why do I have to pay it?

The charge covers our costs for connecting you to the electric grid. Some of the key values behind the concept of a co-op are openness and fairness. Everyone paying his/her fair share. The monthly service fee is your portion of the physical facilities. This includes the meter, service drop, transformer and a portion for the poles and wires connecting you to the nearest substation. Basically, your share of the minimum amount of equipment the cooperative must install to provide you with electricity access. This fee is on every monthly bill, regardless of electric usage.

Question: What is the tracker fee on my bill each month and why do I have to pay it?

The tracker fee is a billing adjustment to cover the fluctuation cost of power we purchase and distribute from our power supplier, Hoosier Energy. The tracking mechanism recovers variable production cost (fuel- including coal and natural gas, wholesale power market purchases, operations and maintenance, and emissions regulations) incurred by Hoosier Energy during a specific period.  This fee is per kWh and changes quarterly.

Question: When will I get my deposit back?

A member will get their deposit credited back to their bill as a bill credit when that member is current 10 out of 12 months or they pay on time for 11 consecutive months.  The billing system automatically returns deposits back to a members account as a bill credit, once they have met our criteria. 

Question: What kind of help does REMC offer me if I am unable to pay my bill?

You have up until 4:30 p.m. on your disconnect date to come into our office and create a two week arrangement or pay your bill under the $75.00 minimum disconnect amount. If you choose to do a two week arrangement, you will need to pay 10% of your total bill down or $50.00, whichever is higher and sign an agreement to pay the remainder of your past due amount in two weeks’ time. We can also give you a list of local agencies that may be able to offer you assistance.

Question: What happens if I am unable to pay the amount left owed on my arrangement on or before the due date of the arrangement that I made?

If you do not pay the total amount agreed to pay by the due date, the agreement will be considered broken and you will be subject to disconnect and will be unable to create another arrangement for 12 months.

Question: What should I do if an occupant at my service address is dependent on a device that requires electricity?

You will need to have your doctor’s office fax us a statement that has your name, your service address, reason and person who requires it to 812-375-6230. Your account will then be labeled as Life support needs and you will be added to a priority outage restoral list when you report a power outage.

Question: What happens if I am up for disconnect but my account is Labeled for Life Support needs?

A service man will make a trip to your home and leave a letter explaining the amount due and you will be charged a $35.00 trip fee. You will have 10 days from the date the letter was left to pay your disconnect amount.

Question: Who do I call if I will be digging and need to locate underground wires?

You can call 811 or 1-800-382-5544. They ask that you call two business days before you dig.

Question: Why does it take so long for my bill to post to my account when you are located in Columbus where I mailed it from?

If you use your payment stub to send back your payment, you will notice that most of our payments are sent to our processing center in Atlanta, Georgia. You will need to add a few more days for it to reach the location and be posted. If this is not an option, please look at our many other payment options that we offer to our members.

Question: Who do I contact if I have a tree limb on electrical wires or if I am cutting a tree down that may fall on electrical wires?

Call our office at 812-372-2546 and any ESR or employee will be able to assist in creating a service order to have one of our employees come take a look and decide what needs to be done. NEVER try to remove a limb or object on a power line by yourself. Please wait for someone trained to remove it.

Question: I am moving to Bartholomew County REMC area and need to start my service. How do I do this?

You can go online at and fill out a start service request or come in to our office at 1697 W Deaver Rd Columbus, IN 47201 during our office hours. If you are renting we will need a copy of your lease or permission from the owner before we can establish service into your name.  We also require a $50.00 membership fee and a possible deposit. If you do your application online, you will need to be available at the phone number you provided. We will need to call you and collect any money owed before we can establish the service into your name.

Question: I am moving and need to stop my service. How do I do this?

You can go online at and fill out a stop service order or call in to our office at 812-372-2546. Make sure you give us your forwarding address so that we can send you your final bill or a check for whatever amount is left over after we credit your deposit and or membership fee if applicable to your final bill.

Question: How much am I paying for the Electric Consumer that I receive each month?

$4.95 a year per member is calculated into the rates.

Question: Do I have to receive the Electric Consumer?

No, you don’t but you will not be credited any money.

Question: When will I see the fee for the Electric Consumer?

It is calculated into the electric rates.  There will not be a separate fee for the newsletter.